This past weekend was full of fun Memorial Day celebrations. Yesterday there was a picnic that I volunteered to bake something yummy. I wanted to go with a “patriotic” theme and what is more American than apple pie for dessert? Well I didn’t want to bring a whole pie because I thought it was too cliche and would be too time-consuming as well as messy to have hungry people cut up their own slices. So I did the dirty work for them.
I decided to make apple pie in a bar format. That way there would be no mess but plenty of yummy goodness to go around.
These bars turned out quite yummy! I would make a few changes the next time around though, like not letting them sit so long in the fridge (I had it sit over night) or allow them to melt in the sun–which wasn’t entirely my fault, it was really hot out this weekend.
But anyways, these apple pie bars are delicious. They are full of cinnamon and apples and butter. You can’t go wrong right? I suggest you try them out and if you love them, make them for an upcoming July 4th party!
Apple Pie Bars Makes 16 Bars
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
For Apple Pie Filling:
- 3 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced (I used red apples, but use any apple you prefer)
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
For the Topping
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter –room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper. For an easy lift out of the pan later on, make sure your parchment paper goes over the edges.
- For the Shortbread: First you have to cream your butter. Place butter into your mixer and turn on high for 5 minutes or until the butter turns white, which means it’s done creaming. Next mix in the sugar, vanilla, and salt. Once combined, add in the flour and stir well. The mixture will look like lumpy playdoh. Press the mixture into the parchment lined pan and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Apply Pie filling: In a bowl, combine by hand the apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until the apples are well coated.
- Topping: Mix flour, 3/4 up brown sugar. Cut in the butter with a fork and knead together.Set aside.
- Remove the crust from the oven and turn the heat up to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle one half of the Topping over the short bread, then layer the apples on top. Layer the apples until all used up–keep the apple slices level so that the bars come out evenly. Drizzle lemon juice evenly over the top layer of apples. Once this is finished, sprinkle the remainder of the Topping evenly on top and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully before placing in the fridge to set for 1 to 2 hours. Once it’s set, remove from the baking dish by lifting out the parchment paper and cut into 16 squares.
- Drizzle white icing or powdered sugar on top before diving in!